Monday, June 7, 2010

writing workshops

Yesterday I attended a writing workshop hosted by fellow Wildwood Writer Julie Paul. Fantastic and inspiring. And the main thing I learned was, no matter how far into a writing project you are, never close your mind to looking at things from different angles. Julie had us doing exercises that made me look at my characters from new perspective, and opened my mind to a different approach to some of the material I have been finding difficult. Here's an exercise I particularly liked. Think of all the worlds you know. Everything from your own kitchen to the landscape you live in to the kinds of books you read. This is a simple activity, but doing it made me realise how rich my material could be if I brought in some of these worlds. My characters have worlds that they know, which I can explain, describe, make them live in. This brings more life to the story as a whole. Thanks Julie

1 comment:

Julie Paul said...

You are most welcome, Kari! Thank you for coming and sharing your words with all of us. Can't wait to read that novel...